Graduates take note.
Now is the time to review your Graduate CV. yep, right now.
Graduate CV recruitment is unlike any other type you’ll likley see again. It’s a unique situation that is time-based with a limit on resource and opportunity.
If you are serious about your career, then it is likely you will have started planning and making steps to employment well before you have graduated.
Graduate CV strategy
A few things to think about are:
– If your peers are also looking for the same job as you and have better grades or more experience than you; what can you do to shift the balance to your favour?
– Who wrote your CV? Was your CV a work-of-art or work-down-the-club?
– Do you have a jobseeker plan? Graduate CV plan?
– Graduate CV, this is going to be a panel interview or formal interview for top level jobs. Are you prepared?
Graduate CV plans
Unfortunately, a lot of very talented graduates find themselves not entering into thier desired employment, and then taking ‘any’ job. Then they continue to push ahead spending some serious time applying for their ideal job while having to convince employers that the reasons why they were unable to secure thier sector employment upon graduation. The IT industry is renowned for the catch 22 situation of ‘no experience, no job’.
If your are Graduating this year, try to think out of the box. This can be:
– Alligning yourself to industry
– Voluntary work in your sector
– Freelance work in your sector
– Find a mentor in your sector
– Find a coach / CV writer
– Increase your skills with other professional development
– Join LinkedIN and facebook and socialise with people in your industry
Graduate CV advice
Our main advice is…. don’t try to write your CV by yourself, get a friend, your mum/dad, find a mentor, find a career coach, just whatever you do… don’t use your own life experience to write your own CV. Ensure you leverage yourself and take advantage of a person who has been through some jobs and recruitment themselves. This will save you a lot of heart ache and avoid some of the CV pitfalls.
Worth checking out CV companies for Graduate CV services